Warning to parents – Amber Teething Necklace could be dangerous to your child
Tuesday, October 04, 2011
Testing by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) has revealed individual amber beads designed as a teething aid are a potential choking hazard for infants.
MP David Bradbury has urged parents to maintain constant supervision should parents decide to provide their children with an amber teething necklace and be aware of the potential dangers that could arise. Despite being advertised as teething aids, the amber teething necklace are not designed to be chewed by infants and can be a choking hazard, Whilst limited information is available on the toxicity of succinic acid (released as the beads are chewed) through oral ingestion, choking remains the primary concern for parents. To minimize risk, the ADA suggests avoiding the use of Amber Bead teething products, and suggests alternatives including:
- Washing your hands and gently rubbing your infants gum with a clean finger
- Providing your baby with a clean teething ring or wet washcloth to bite.
- Giving your baby non-sweetened rusks to chew on.
For more information on teething and oral hygiene for infants visit www.babyteeth.com.au